Monday, September 12, 2005

 

Local Reds

I have at last discovered a small pocket of red squirrels! Right under my very nose, just over the hill in the next valley a little family of squirrels is fed in a garden on the edge of the woods. I hear reds have also been seen in neighboring gardens. What's more, they're even used to being fed using the weighted-door type of squirrel feeder -great potential for using my size selective one. But the hazel nut season is just beginning making shop bought nuts seem very unnapeailing to the squirrels...


Comments:
I feel it prudent to ask what precautions you're taking to bullet-proof the electronics in your feeders... I hear there's some strange folk "up North" (I feel so perverse writing "up North" to talk about England)
 
The electornics are admittedly a little at risk. Any grey squirrel poking its nose out near the feeder risks a .22 airgun pellet in its skull from the rifle kept mounted in the spare room of the house whose garden I'm using for the feeders. The traditional squirrel feeder (non-functioning) already on the tree next to mine is indeed peppered with bullet holes. Mine is semi-protected from being in the hollow of a fork in the branches (which means I have to climb the tree to collect data the whole time...) More pertinent issues include circuitry shorting every time it rains and rusting up of contacts on the switch... But I have squirrel photos none the less! see prev post (soon to arrive...)
 
In the true spirit of things, I'd like to point out that that's not a squirrel at the top left of the page but it is, in fact, a tufted rhinoceros. There's a picture of one with slightly less hair here.

Can be confused by their yearly malting habits. They're very shy while they have hair, and tend to hide up trees.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


Job Hunting